Monday, July 25, 2005

HAS IT BEEN RELEASED?

Why is it that the best performances always seem to end up as premiums for orchestral fund raisers?

A few nights I ago I heard the best version of the Bruckner SYMPHONY NUMBER 6 In A MAJOR. It was performed by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra under the late Rafael Kubelik, and surprise, surprise, it wasn't a commercial recording. Rather, it was a premium for those who had donated X number of dollars to for the Chicago Symphony Orchestrta.

It isn't that I'm against premiums, but I really wish that some of these recordings would be released to the general public. This was not a second rate performance. This was the Chicago Symphony at its absolute best, and yet it remains virtually unkown outside certain circles.

What would it take for the corporate powers that be to get their acts together and arrange for a public release of this and similar recordings which are currently buried in vaults and private collections?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

It does seem rather puzzling, doesn't it? Music is supposed to be for the people and yet, so much of it is unavailable to the general public because of The Profiteers. I don't know so much about individual symphonies but PBS certainly fits in this category as well. Take a pledge drive, for example. Now, I don't have a ton of experience with these but I know about one in particular and do, please excuse the example. But...

When Josh Groban's first concert DVD came out, it was during the Christmas pledge drive. For just a mere $50, you could get the live CD! If you wanted to be a little more generous and give $100, you got the DVD! And, for the truly charitable, a $150 donation got you the combo CD/DVD set...AND a tote bag!

I got the combo CD/DVD for $23.99 at Amazon.com. And the tote bag was ugly.

So what's up with the ridiculous "contribution perks?" I have no idea. It's another way to get rich people to give money to their organization. Yet, they wonder why so many think classical music is only for rich, older, stuffy individuals with no personality, who eat Brie all the time. I think they SAY it's for the masses but prefer to keep it in their snobby little groups...I aim to do just the opposite and I bet a lot of people will help me. We'll stop them from ruining classical music...we will...

Kate

7/26/2005 4:28 PM  
Blogger Advocate1 said...

What Danny didn't mention is that he has more CSO/Public TV Coffee mugs than you can shake a stick at. No wonder symphony orchestras are having difficulties these days--most of the audience probably has enough coffee mugs to serve a sit down dinner for a small city! AS for the tote bags...HOW MANY DO YOU NEED? I know people who have so many tote bags that they could carry away the top soil in their backyards without re-using a single bag and still have bags left over. ENOUGH ALREADY!

But as for Daniel's point...I agree. It seems to me that the copyright laws have been bastardized to serve the recording companies. I suppose the thing about this that bothers me the most is that the new technology was supposed to open up communication and promote an exchange of information and culture. In the hands of the corporations, modern technology has become another corrupt method by which said corporations can make even greater profits.

7/27/2005 9:47 AM  
Blogger halcyon67 said...

You all are such nerds.

Hehe. Just joking. Classical music is da bomb.

See ya,
Samantha

7/30/2005 11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home