Monday, July 18, 2005

Who WOULDN'T you invite?

Ok, to turn this around on everyone (because I like the Yankee trick of answering a question with a question), who wouldn't you invite to the party? We'll stick with five as the default but feel free to include more or less.

Here's mine (in no particular order):

1. The guy who wrote
Sleigh Ride, Leroy Anderson. He's been the bane of my musical existence since the first time I heard the song. A classic, yes. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

2. Anyone who's ever written anything atonal. It might be art but it still doesn't sound good.

3. Mozart. I fully admit the man was a musical genius. Does anyone really want an egotistical jerk sitting around, monopolizing the conversation, marveling at his ability to put up with people who are so clearly inferior? Gee...thanks, but no thanks. Then again, I always was rather curious to see how he would have ended the
Requiem, too. Ok. He's tentative.

4. David Foster. True, he's not classical but he's still giving "composer" a bad connotation.

I can't think of any more right now but if I do, I'll edit this list...

--Kate

4 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Gallagher said...

Who wouldn't I invite?

1. Brahms. Love the music but hate the man--he shot arrows at cats for chrissakes!

2. Mussorgsky. The man was a chronic alcoholic--who by the way suffered from Korsakof's Psychosis, an alcohol-related brain disorder.

3. Franz Josef Haydn--he never really appreciated his student, Beethoven. In fact the two of them developed a personal/professional rivalry because of Haydn's jealousy.

4. Johann Strauss Junior. Anyone who wrote the waltz 300 times has a problem.

5. Scriabin. Being a megalomaniac is one thing. A full blown psychotic is another!

7/19/2005 2:16 PM  
Blogger Advocate1 said...

Who wouldn't I invite?

1. Haydn for the same reason Danny gave.

2. Christoph Penderecki--a contemporary composer who ives new meaning to the word atonal. His pieces sound more like screaming and always leave me with the felling that I have just recovered from a severe bout of nausea.

3. Hector Berlioz. I'm sorry, the man had an obsessive streak, and I've never been that much of a Berlioz fan anyhow.

4. Camille Saint-Seans. BOR-ING!

5. Johann N. Hummell: He never really appreciated the genius of Beethoven's piano compositions.

7/20/2005 8:55 AM  
Blogger LibertyRising said...

Karen (Kyle's wife)here!

I wouldn't invite any of them. Classical composers by definition are either neurotic or psychotic. If it hadn't been for their music we never would have tolerated them. I prefer a quite,peaceful meal. Perhaps you should rethink the idea of a sit down dinner and go with an outdoor bar-be-que where the yelling wouldn't hurt your ears so much as an indoor event? Also, Beethoven tended to have horrible table manners, and he was known to throw food at waiters when he got mad. Better to do that in your back yard than in your dining room!

7/20/2005 3:00 PM  
Blogger LibertyRising said...

Sorry, that should read quiet, not quite. Karen

7/20/2005 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home